Sunday, December 23, 2012

Uh Oh, She Asked THE Question....

Last night my 10 year old asked if Santa is real.  I asked her what she thought, and she looked at me and said, " I asked you first."  Darn that kid is good.  She is an incredibly mature child, so I KNOW she KNOWS the truth.  She happened to ask in front of her 8 year old sister, who is as mature as an 8 year old should be, and just sat there doe eyed waiting on the all knowing Mommy's answer.

I have always told the kids that Santa is magical.  For those that believe in him he is very real, but for those who do not, he is nothing more than pretend.  This has been satisfactory in helping them to keep believing.  It does not make a difference to me whether they believe or not, but it is fun to keep the magic alive, especially in these times.  It is nice to have a bit of make believe that everyone participates in and everyone gets excited about.  And it's nice to have some cookies left out that no one is asking to eat...less competition. 

I am pretty certain that my oldest daughter knows exactly what the deal is with Santa, but she loves the magical aspect as well, so she keeps her faith alive.  She did however make it known that under no circumstances will she ever believe that any of the mall Santas are real.  I had no argument there, I mean really.  But she followed up with the understanding that obviously Santa is a busy guy and he cannot be in charge of the whole thing and make appearances at malls everywhere, so obviously he had to exercise some time management.  I told you she was mature. 

Santa is real, he is real in our hearts and in our imaginations.  He is real in our inner children, and in our actual children.  I am glad to have another year of belief all around, that is my gift from Santa!

No comments:

Post a Comment