Monday, September 2, 2013

Pasta With Veggies

Tonight's dinner was a smashing success, thank you, thank you, no applause. I jest! For those of you who do not know, my older girls came to me about three weeks ago professing their desire to become vegetarian. So, like any devoted mommy, I said, "Sure, and I will be one too!" So for the last three weeks we have been eating vegetarian.

Before anyone scoffs and scolds me about protein needs and iron deficiency, let me just say, we eat a lot of beans and a lot of spinach and broccoli in our house. I feel confident between those, and the other veggies and proteins that we are all getting enough. Not to mention, if the girls came to me tomorrow and professed their desire to return to our previous diet, which was mostly chicken, I would oblige. This is their choice for themselves.

Anywho, I digress from tonight's scrumptious meal. Here is the recipe:


Organic Veggie Pasta

1 pound of your favorite pasta, we used Rotini
1 green bell pepper (chopped)
1 red bell pepper (chopped)
1 yellow onion (diced)
2 large garlic cloves (minced)
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon fresh cilantro (chopped)
1 cup baby bella mushrooms (sliced)
2 cups fresh baby spinach (chopped)
1 can chopped tomato

Boil your pasta to al dente and set it aside.

Heat the oil on medium heat in a chef's pan (a deep saute pan). Add the garlic and onion and cook until the onion is soft and translucent. Add in the can of tomato, and let the liquid cook out for 5 to 10 minutes. Then add in the red and green bell peppers, and mushrooms. Cook until the mushrooms start to soften. Next, add in the cilantro. Let that cook for about 5 minutes. Add in the spinach, and turn off the heat. Cover the dish and let the spinach cook in the mix for 5 minutes.

Serve and enjoy!!!

I topped mine with a couple kalamata olives and a sprinkle of parmesan cheese. All three children had second helpings, even my toddler!

No comments:

Post a Comment