Saturday, March 31, 2012

Support Groups for Kids

Have you ever thought, gosh my kid needs a support group for _______.  When I got divorced I thought maybe I would need to find some outlet, some group, some something for my girls to be able to handle the breaking apart of their family.  Thankfully, they were able handle things pretty well.  They were fairly young, 5 &3 when we separated.  It was hard, but manageable.  In the end, they are happier and healthier mentally for it.  We have both moved on and remarried, and had more kids.  The girls are surrounded by people who love them, and thrive in sharing their love with us all as well.

It is not this easy for many children of divorce.  There have been times that things between myself and my ex got ugly, there will be more times too, I am almost certain.  But for the most part we both do a good job of not letting the kids be hit by it.  We keep it between ourselves, and put on the good ole happy face in front of the children. 

The thing I struggle with the most is that my girls have had to pay the biggest consequences for our choices.  I will probably struggle with that until the day I die.  I accept it, but I cannot help sometimes to feel that twinge of guilt over it.  I just thank God that they are happy, healthy, well adjusted girls.  I love them with all my heart, and want the very best for them, for us all. 

Children need an outlet for their feelings.  Whether we involve them in sports, arts, church, therapy, etc.  They, just like we adults, need a niche in their world that is for them.  A place where they can just be themselves, and be accepted and nurtured for who they are, outside of the home.  Whether the child is a brainiac, or a jock, an artist, or a poet.  Everyone needs a place to express themselves freely, openly, and without ridicule. 

Every child needs love.

1 comment:

  1. When I took my psychology courses, "belonging" was added with the needs of air, food and water.

    ReplyDelete