Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Veggie Wednesday

Every Wednesday we eat a vegetarian dinner.  It is fun!  The kids love it, and it gives us a chance to really get creative with our food.  This is a picture of tonight's dinner.  It is a black bean veggie burger with eggplant chips on the side. 

I am really proud of this meal.  It was insanely delicious, and my kids loved it.  I love getting creative with food, and so does every member of my family.  We all love to cook.  My ten year old wants to go to culinary school and become a chef.  I could not be prouder of her. 

Every veggie on this plate is also organic, something else that is very important to us as a family.  We try to eat as organic as possible, and eat as many NON-GMO foods as possible.  We teach the kids the reality of food, processed food dangers, organic versus non-organic, what the heck GMO means.  They know it all.  But we also have moments where we just order a pizza and sit back and relax.  I want my kids to be well informed and make good choices, but I also want them to know it is not something that needs to be obsessive.  We cook 95% of our meals at home, actually probably more, but I am being conservative.  We encourage the kids to participate in meal preparation with us as well. 

My ten year old made breakfast for the family last weekend.  She made a nutty cornbread in which she incorporated walnuts into cornbread.  She said she wanted to use walnuts because, "they will add a buttery flavor, which will compliment the cornbread nicely."  Yes, she is ten years old.  I love her to death.  She is very aware for her age, she always has been.  I think she has a very old soul.  But, I digress. 

I tell my girls, find something you love, and make it your own.  They have each shown a desire to really take cooking to a whole new level, although the oldest seems to really want to run with the ball.  She is making her own cookbook.  I tell them both all the time, food has several important aspects.  It needs to nourish your body, it needs to be something you enjoy preparing, and it needs to have universal appeal if you are sharing it with others.  The colors, flavors, and textures are all important and must work together. 

Tonight's dinner was not just our typical veggie Wednesday, it was a wonderful, family meal prepared together, enjoyed together.  They praised my veggie burger to the heavens, they helped prep all the fixins' for the burgers.  They devoured every last morsel on their plates, and helped clean up afterwards. 

Food can bring a family together.  The family dinner should be alive and well in every household.  It is a vital piece to the puzzle that can mean so much to everyone in the family.  My girls will grow up remembering all the great meals we tried out together.  They will go on with their own families with the foundation of everyone in the kitchen, working and sharing together.

It is not just a meal, it is an event.  It is a memory that will last us all a lifetime.


No comments:

Post a Comment