Tuesday, January 15, 2013

See No Evil, Speak No Evil, Hear No Evil?!?!

What do you do when you see a parent completely screwing up their child in public?  I once watched a dad in the doctor's office call his 2 year old son a "sissy," because he was crying...because he did not feel well.  Hello, you are in the doctor's office for the sick kid, he is allowed to not feel well.  The mother jumped up and yelled at the dad and then took the boy and moved to the other side of the waiting room.  I was privately cheering with mental pom poms as she did.  I was also wondering how long THAT relationship would last. 

I have seen many a parent threatening their children in the stores, grocery stores, toy stores, department stores, where ever.  I have heard more moms count to three than I can even count.  Only to get to the number of desperation and have the child still acting out.  Then what?  They have called your bluff, and now???  I have seen a mom smacking her child for telling her no.  The minute she saw me and realized that she had been seen, she scooped him up and started hugging and kissing him. 

So what do you do when you see some bad parenting going on?  Do you say something?  Does it depend on how bad it is?  Does it depend on whether or not you know them?  What is the protocal? 

I feel like we have an obligation to all children to keep them safe.  I think it is a personal decision as to what the point of needing to get involved is reached. 

1 comment:

  1. yes but probably not the easiest choice to step in. People are very sensitive to their child discipline. I would be at first and I consider myself pretty open...Blatant child abuse? You know my stance on that ;)

    ReplyDelete