Thursday, January 3, 2013

Money Saving Tips

Who does not want to save a few $$$ here and there, and everywhere!!  I know as a family of five with a single income it can be tight sometimes.  Especially following a time like Christmas, where spending seems to skyrocket even when you have a budget and do your best to stick to it. 

I have some money saving tips I would love to share, as well as asking you to post your tips in the comments section.  Any and all sharing of good information is always welcome.! 

One thing I have done is to download the grocery store apps on to my tablet.  Often they have electronic coupons on the app, and they keep track of what you typically purchase, so the coupons are geared towards what you actually buy.  Safeway goes one step further and puts the coupons directly on to your rewards card, so the second you scan your card at check out all the items you have coupons for are discounted by the value of the coupon.  Couponing was never easier than that!  I find since I spend a good deal of time online that online couponing is great, and actually helps me use those coupons, instead of clipping them only to be forgotten behind in my little organizer.  Let's face it, when trying to leave the house with a toddler and often the two older kids in tow, it is hard to remember my name, let alone the coupon organizer.  Having these money savers available electronically is a great help, and just shows that even the grocery stores need to evolve into the new age.  I signed up at sites like Red Plum that email me the coupon inserts that are received in the mail.  If I need to print them out I can.  But I only print the ones I intend to use, and bypass the others. 

I also sign up for email coupons at sites that I typically shop at for the kids clothing, like Kohls and Target.  I use the online coupons, and shop their sales to get the most for my money.  The other day between sales, coupons, and Kohl's cash I was able to get a jacket that retailed for $180 for $20.  I literally did a happy dance in the store.  I know couponing itself is no new idea.  But my point is that we need to become smart shoppers, not just shopping with coupons, but also finding the sales that go along with the coupons, and utilizing every deal possible to get the most bang for your buck. 

Another option that may not be all that popular is becoming a one car family.  For families that live in large cities this may not even matter if they do not own a car to begin with, but for us suburb dwellers a car is necessary to be able to adequately function.  I am a stay at home mom.  We are usually a two car family, but we are down to one car temporarily.  It has been a huge adjustment, I will not lie, but it is money saving.  I took the second car off the insurance until we can use it again, which cut the insurance bill in half.  The gas spent on the first car will surely increase, as will wear and tear, but if done correctly there should not be a doubling in those areas.  It is an option, and often a good one especially if we are talking about a one income family.

   Speaking of automobiles, another money savingn tip is to shop around for insurance when your renewals come up. Even if you do not end up switching insurance companies, the shopping can lead you to a lower price, and hopefully your current company can match the lower price. If not, it may be worth it to switch, if the savings is significant.

Cooking more at home is also a way to save money.  Not only is it healthier, but costs can be trimmed dramatically by some simple changes.  My children do not drink juice, but instead flavored water, that I flavor with real fruit.  I make apple cinnamon water, or cucumber lemon or lime water.  It is significantly less than buying juice, plus it is vastly healthier for them in the long run! 

 


These are just a few little tips.  Throughout the year I will be sharing more cost cutting, and money making tips.  I am making some large changes in my own life this year, and I will be sharing my experiences along the way.  Please feel free to jump in where you can, and I hope you take away some helpful information on our journey together.

No comments:

Post a Comment