Friday, April 22, 2011

Don't Dress Your Daughters Like Hookers.....Good Advice...

A couple Mom friends of mine "liked" this article through Facebook the other day, so I pulled it up and took a read.  I had to laugh and yet, feel sad at the same time.  I see sooo many young, really YOUNG girls out there dressing in very provocative clothing.  My oldest daughter is 8, and has no interest in anything sex related at all.  And, no I am not just being delusional.  I can see the difference in her and other girls her age.  What do I attribute the difference to??  Well, part of it I attribute to her diet, no wait, really!  I give my girls organic milk and organic whatever else I can whenever I can, but especially MILK, meats, cheeses.  I do my very best to avoid pumping the added hormones into their bodies, and THAT is what I believe makes a big difference.  Secondly, like this article advises, I don't dress them like tramps.  I don't draw attention to their rear ends with putting words like JUICY on their butt, or anything of the sort.  I let them pick out their clothes, and I have total veto power.  They go to Catholic School so they wear uniforms to school, but outside of that, they wear what they want.  Neither of my girls has ever been put into an itty bitty bikini, nor will they while I can stop it.  I do not want to objectify my daughters in any way to any body.  They have plenty of time in their lives to be sexual beings with someone who loves and respects them first.  At 8 and 6 years old, the last thing they need is male attention, unless it is the love, devotion, and parental guidance coming from their Dad or Stepdad. 

Please, don't dress your daughters like tramps.

2 comments:

  1. Totally agree with you on this and what makes it worse is that companies make and sell this kind of clothing. It's our job as Mommies to protect our children and say NO. I've said it a million times---we are here to parent not to be their best friend. So if my 9 year old is mad at me for not letting her get that sleezy halter top--so be it. I'm good with that. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Preach it sista! It always made me sick how parents dressed their girls at the summer camp Jay works for. It's freaking CAMP not a SKANKTASTIC runway show! I know my Mom didn't let me wear anything super revealing until I was about 15 or 16 which, I think, is A LOT more appropriate than 8. I think we need to spend more time teaching young girls the importance of inner beauty and loving themselves. You are setting a great footpath for your girlies Cuz! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete